Testosterone is vital to male sexual health and is the primary male sex hormone. Low testosterone levels can lead to fatigue, erectile dysfunction, hair loss, and a loss of muscle mass.
We’re frequently asked where to buy testosterone and if it can be bought without a prescription.
Although many high-grade testosterone boosters can be bought over the counter, you must have a prescription to purchase actual testosterone. Any testosterone that can be bought without a prescription is unlikely to be genuine, as it is a highly controlled substance.
Strong safeguards are in place to ensure that prescribing and buying testosterone can only happen if all parties (doctor, patient, and pharmacist) follow the guidelines imposed by the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA).
So, if you’ve been wondering where you can buy testosterone legally, we’ve got the answers for you.
Is It Legal to Buy Testosterone Online?
As long as you have a prescription and the website you’re purchasing from follows DEA guidelines, it is 100% legal to buy testosterone online.
If the site you’re buying from doesn’t require a prescription or doesn’t ask for proof of a medical condition, don’t buy from them as they’re not in compliance with the DEA.
What are the DEA guidelines?
These guidelines are in place for your benefit and well-being. Here’s what they include:
- You must have a medical condition that has been validly diagnosed by a physician (and you must have a doctor/patient relationship)
- Before prescribing testosterone, there must be a preliminary blood panel, history taken, and a physical exam to ensure it’s necessary
- Documentation that the risks and benefits have been discussed with you by your doctor
- The physician and pharmacists operating online are based and licensed within the United States.
Why are these guidelines in place?
Testosterone is a male sex hormone, and in the years since it was first synthesized in the 30s, it has been sold for other purposes to treat clinically deficient hormone levels. Some users may want to buy testosterone and testosterone boosters online to increase their athletic or sexual function.
Why do you need testosterone?
In men, testosterone plays a crucial function in many body processes, including:
- The production of sperm and sperm quality
- The development of muscle mass
- Bone density
- Sexual function
What causes low testosterone levels?
The primary reason that leads to a decline in testosterone levels is age. As men get older, their testosterone levels naturally decline – generally around 40. Of course, this isn’t the case for all men, but many.
Other medical conditions & treatments that can affect testosterone levels:
- Injury or infections of the testicles
- Treatment for specific health conditions, such as chemotherapy
- Metabolic disorders like hemochromatosis (having too much iron in your blood)
- Tumors in the pituitary gland
- Some medications, such as opioids, prednisone, and hormone replacement therapy treatments
- Short-term or chronic illnesses such as HIV/AIDS, liver cirrhosis, and uncontrolled type 2 diabetes
- High levels of prolactin, a milk hormone
- Abnormal development of the hypothalamus, a gland in the brain that controls many hormones
- Extreme weight gain or weight loss
- Excessive estrogen levels
- Severe hypothyroidism
What are the best treatments for testosterone deficiency?
If you have a deficiency and want to boost testosterone production, then the best treatment for low testosterone is Testosterone Replacement Therapy (TRT). However, this must be combined with a clinical diagnosis. The cause of low testosterone will also determine whether or not a doctor will choose TRT or not.
Also Read: How much does testosterone cost? (TRT)
If the cause can be addressed without medication, a doctor will likely take that route first. For example, if low testosterone is caused by obesity, then they’ll ask you to begin by losing weight, or if certain medications have caused low testosterone, then your doctor may try to find alternatives.
Testosterone Replacement Therapy (TRT) can be administered in several ways, such as:
- Skin patches
TRT is typically effective, and improvement will be noticeable within a few weeks.
How much do testosterone boosters cost?
If you’re having TRT, the US average cost will be about $30 – $40 for 1 mL (200mg/mL). In addition, a similar amount of Cypionate testosterone costs between $20 – $25. However, these costs may vary depending on where you purchase your prescription.
Alternatively, if you’re looking to boost testosterone naturally and use testosterone booster supplements, then you may find these more cost-effective and increase testosterone production.
Does health insurance cover the cost of testosterone treatment?
While some health insurance providers may cover the cost of TRT, including all visits, medication, and tests, most will only cover the associated costs, for example, lab tests and clinic visits.
Is testosterone safe?
When used correctly, testosterone is far safer than many other drugs on the market. Drinking alcohol can be more damaging than taking testosterone boosters, and it’s the abuse and over-dependence on testosterone that has led to testosterone boosters being viewed negatively.
Are anabolic steroids and other products offered effective for TRT?
There’s a lot of misinformation around anabolic steroids and whether or not they make an impact on your testosterone levels. They are not effective testosterone booster and do not replace testosterone as TRT.
Whilst they may contain some testosterone or chemical elements that have been designed to act like an androgenic-anabolic steroid hormone and act as a testosterone booster, in the long run, they will modify your natural testosterone and can be detrimental.
Also Read: Testosterone killing food – What you need to know
When prescribing TRT, doctors will begin with the lowest dose of testosterone possible to boost testosterone levels and help to restore natural hormone levels. The testosterone levels found in anabolic steroids are potentially higher and, therefore, can be dangerous.
What are the side effects of products that mimic TRT?
- Decreased sperm count
- Gynecomastia (man boobs)
- Testicular shrinkage
- Kidney damage
- Liver damage
- Heart trouble
- Plus, anabolic steroids can be addictive.
Why is testosterone a controlled substance?
According to the US Controlled Substances Act, passed in 1990, testosterone is considered an anabolic steroid. Before the act, anabolic steroids and testosterone were being abused by athletes and gym enthusiasts looking to increase their performance and lean muscle mass. Therefore these drugs are controlled to regulate their use and distribution.
What are the risks of taking too much testosterone?
As we said, testosterone boosters are incredibly safe and, when taken correctly, are less harmful than alcohol. However, thousands of users abuse testosterone and take too much. Most of the overuse of testosterone boosters comes from illegally obtained testosterone.
Some of the risks associated with testosterone abuse and over-dependence are:
- Testicular shrinkage – a prolonged high dosage of testosterone can lead to testicular shrinkage or even atrophy in some cases.
- Hormonal imbalance – when high levels of testosterone are present in the body, it can lead to hormonal imbalance, which can cause conditions such as enlargement of male breasts, excessive hair growth, sexual dysfunction, and infertility, among other effects.
- Mental illness – as testosterone is a hormone, it affects the functionality of the CNS (Central Nervous System). Excessive use of testosterone can lead to episodes of mental illness, irritability, mood swings, aggressive behavior, impaired impulse control, and impaired cognitive function.
- Cardiovascular diseases – high doses of testosterone, when not needed, can put a user at risk of cardiovascular diseases. It can also increase the risk of liver damage, liver diseases, and diabetes.
- Stunted growth – Teenagers who abuse testosterone may face stunted growth as the body assumes puberty is complete.
How is Testosterone Deficiency Diagnosed?
TRT is only administered in patients with low testosterone levels, so to be considered testosterone deficient, you must have low testosterone levels of 300IU, according to the American Urology Association. In addition, you must also experience at least one of the below symptoms of low testosterone:
- Sexual dysfunction
- Low sex drive
- Erectile dysfunction
- Low muscle mass
- Hair loss
- Increased body fat, especially around the abdomen
- Low sperm count or sperm quality
- Testicles reducing in size
- Hot flashes and mood swings
It is very typical for some men to have low levels of testosterone and not experience any symptoms, especially in men over 40. In these cases, the doctor will recommend alternative testosterone boosting methods other than testosterone therapy treatment. For example, testosterone supplements can be helpful to boost testosterone naturally, and natural testosterone boosting supplements can be helpful in restoring testosterone levels.
What are the best testosterone supplements? And does a testosterone booster work for everyone?
If you’ve found yourself struggling with a receding hairline, or carrying some extra weight gain, erectile dysfunction has become more present than you’d like. It could be that low testosterone production is an issue, and you could benefit from a boost to your testosterone levels. Testosterone boosters can be beneficial to give your testosterone levels the little oomph they need.
Healthy testosterone levels are pivotal to many aspects of your body, from muscle growth, sex drive, bone strength, memory, heart health, and even the size of your penis and testicles. So, when your testosterone production drops, you’re going to feel it, which can have some awful effects on your health.
Luckily, there are plenty of natural testosterone boosters to turn the tide on your low testosterone levels and have you achieve normal testosterone levels naturally in no time. Testosterone boosters and supplements can be found in safe, legal places, such as your local chemist.
Whilst they may not turn back the clock forever, they can help increase testosterone production and support your goals, as well as have several health benefits. Whether you’re looking to fight back against fatigue, amp up your sexual performance, cut body fat, increase muscle mass, or for a hand in stimulating natural testosterone production, a testosterone supplement could be what you need to enhance testosterone production.
In addition to testosterone supplements, there are other natural ways to support healthy testosterone levels. For example, a healthy, balanced diet, regular exercise, and other lifestyle changes can have many health benefits.
What are the best testosterone booster supplements?
Testogen contains natural ingredients and utilizes dietary supplements, such as vitamin d, d aspartic acid, and fenugreek extract, to boost testosterone levels naturally.
Testogen can help you safely achieve healthy testosterone levels naturally. Their 100% natural formula gives everyday life the boost it needs! Allowing your body to produce testosterone naturally, supporting healthy energy levels and lean muscle mass, and helping you to regain your confidence in the bedroom too!